Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Certainty in Uncertain Times

Sometimes life throws us a "curve ball" that can leave us dazed and confused. When those times come, we need to focus on the truth of who God is.  While we don't always understand His ways, we can rest in His promise that He will never leave us nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6).

The God of All Comfort



I used to clean an elderly couple’s home and in their one bathroom was a little sign that read, “Don’t regret growing older. It’s a privilege denied many.”  Though I read it every time I cleaned, I never thought much about it until this past year.  The tragic death of a close friend at the age of 37 and most recently the passing of an 8-year-old child at my daughters’ school after battling a brain tumor has brought home to me the fragility of life. 

Their deaths have also left me asking God, “Why?”  While I can find no value in their departure from this earth, I also know that there are many things that I will not understand on this side of heaven nor am I meant to.  

I’m reminded of this in Isaiah 55:8-9, which says, “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

In this time of confusion, I’ve decided to go back to what I KNOW for sure: God is good, He is a very present help in time of need, He heals the brokenhearted, He loves my friend and this child and is with them in heaven, and He cares more for their families than I ever could.

As I grieve, I will be speaking these truths to myself and I encourage others who may be mourning the loss of a friend or loved one to do the same.  Grieving is a process and we need to allow ourselves time to be comforted. 

Healing and comfort will come.  God is faithful and He will bring it to pass.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.”

Posted by Redeeming Love


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this great reminder that in times of questioning... instead of focusing on the "WHY", I need to turn my focus to the "WHO". Instead of focusing on that which I don't understand, to instead trust in what I know...and it's that one steadfast and never changing truth...that my God loves me with an everlasting love and He promised to NEVER leave or forsake me. That's peace! Thank you for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete