Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Look to the Light

“You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy.” Psalm 16:11
Basking in the Son


Yesterday I took a walk along a beautiful tree-lined trail and enjoyed all the splendor of fall – the smell of crispy leaves filled the air, sunlight dappled the trees, and swirls of colorful leaves danced before my eyes.  As I strolled along and enjoyed all of the sights, sounds, and smells of the season, I came to a spot that took my breath away.  

The sun was hanging low in the sky and was casting its glorious light upon a tree laden with golden leaves.  I stopped in my tracks and stood where the sun met the trail and basked in its light.  As I took in the warmth and gazed at the light, I noticed that everything around me disappeared.  

The light was so strong and bright that it overshadowed the other people on the trail, the houses that surrounded me, and the trees whose company I had been enjoying. I could see nothing but the beautiful, life-giving light. 

It was then that the Lord reminded me that so it is when we fix our eyes on our Savior.  No matter what our circumstances, no matter what may be surrounding us vying for our attention or threatening to steal our peace, joy, and sense of well-being, when we fix our eyes upon Jesus Christ, it all falls away.  There is no darkness that His light cannot pierce and no obstacle that He cannot overshadow.

Yesterday was a beautiful reminder to me that when trouble comes my way, and indeed it will, I need to turn and bask in the light of the Son who has already overcome.

I could have stayed there for hours, but life and its responsibilities urged me on. However, as I walked away, the words of an old hymn rang through my mind...  

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

By Shannon M. Nass
     

2 comments:

  1. This rings true in my heart. I love soaking in the sunlight and I imagine Him smiling and shinning down, pouring out His loving warmth on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daer mom I thought it was so cool XOXO love NAOMI

    ReplyDelete